Braintree can send email notifications to your customers for the following recurring billing events:
- First Decline: Sent after the first unsuccessful attempt to charge a customer on a recurring billing cycle
- First Retry: Sent after an automatic attempt to charge a customer if the initial transaction was unsuccessful
- Second Retry: Sent after the next attempt to charge a customer if the first retry was unsuccessful
- Past Due: Sent x days after the first decline. You can define x when you configure the Send options for your notifications.
Braintree will only send email notifications to your customers for events that leave a subscription in the Past Due state. For example, if your account's retry logic is set to cancel subscriptions after the second retry, your customer will only receive a First Decline and a First Retry email notification - Braintree will not send a Second Retry email or any automatic notification when the subscription has been canceled.
Before you can configure your notification options, you must:
- Configure your SPF records to give us permission to send notifications on your behalf
- Have the authorized signer on your Braintree account send an email to our Support team, requesting that this feature be activated
After you’ve received confirmation from our Support team, you must configure email notifications in the Control Panel:
- Log into the Control Panel
- Under Recurring Billing, click Email Notifications
- Click New
- Select the recurring billing plan and configure settings
- Click Create