Braintree’s fraud tools constantly analyze customer data and purchase behavior to catch the transactions most likely to lead to fraud. The two types of fraud we see most often are:
- A stolen card being used to purchase goods
- Carding attacks where a fraudster runs multiple stolen cards to determine their validity
These situations can result in lost revenue in the form of high chargebacks, higher card association fees, and lost physical goods. Braintree's fraud tools utilize advanced technology, including technology developed by Kount, to assess each transaction's likelihood of being fraudulent.
There are two levels of fraud protection available to our merchants: Basic Fraud Tools and Advanced Fraud Tools. For our Advanced Fraud Tools, we have partnered with Kount to provide a Kount Standard and Kount Custom integration.
|Basic Fraud Tools||Advanced Fraud Tools|
|Kount Standard||Kount Custom|
|Risk rules used to detect fraud||Customizable set of AVS, CVV, and risk threshold rules||Fixed set of rules including geolocation and device information||Customizable set of Kount’s rules that you choose and manage|
|Code changes||Minimal||Minimal||Requires changes to code and ongoing management|
|Available to||All merchants||All merchants||Merchants processing 2500+ transactions per month|
*Depending on your pricing model, there may be additional fees associated with Kount Standard. For more information, contact our Accounts team.
All transaction and verification requests identified as fraudulent will be rejected before we send information to the processor. These requests will have a status of Gateway Rejected and one of the following corresponding Gateway Rejection Reasons to define the type of fraud suspected:
- AVS – rejected due to AVS and CVV rules
- CVV – rejected due to AVS and CVV rules
- Fraud – rejected due to risk threshold rules or Advanced Fraud Tools
You can use our Advanced Search feature to identify whether a request was rejected by Basic or Advanced Fraud Tools:
- Log into the Control Panel
- Under Advanced Search, click Transactions or Verifications
- Under Status, only check the box next to Gateway Rejected
- Choose your desired date range
- Click Search
- On the results page, click Download
- Open the CSV file in the spreadsheet program of your choice, and filter the data by the Gateway Rejection Reason column
Still have questions?
If you can’t find an answer, contact our Support team