Braintree’s fraud tools constantly analyze customer data and purchase behavior to catch the transactions most likely to lead to fraud. The two types of fraud we see most often are:
- A stolen card being used to purchase goods
- Carding attacks where a fraudster runs multiple stolen cards to determine their validity
These situations can result in lost revenue in the form of high chargebacks, higher card association fees, and lost physical goods. Braintree's fraud tools utilize advanced technology, including technology developed by Kount, to assess each transaction's likelihood of being fraudulent.
There are two levels of fraud protection available to our merchants: Basic Fraud Tools and Advanced Fraud Tools. For our Advanced Fraud Tools, we have partnered with Kount to provide a Kount Standard and Kount Custom integration.
|Basic Fraud Tools||Advanced Fraud Tools|
|Kount Standard||Kount Custom|
|Risk rules used to detect fraud||Customizable set of AVS, CVV, and risk threshold rules||Fixed set of rules including geolocation and device information||Customizable set of Kount’s rules that you choose and manage|
|Code changes||Minimal||Minimal||Requires changes to code and ongoing management|
|Available to||All merchants||All merchants||Merchants processing 2500+ transactions per month|
*Depending on your pricing model, there may be additional fees associated with Kount Standard. Contact us for more information.
All transaction and verification requests identified as fraudulent will be rejected before we send information to the processor. These requests will have a status of Gateway Rejected and one of the following corresponding Gateway Rejection Reasons to define the type of fraud suspected:
- AVS – rejected due to AVS and CVV rules
- CVV – rejected due to AVS and CVV rules
- Fraud – rejected due to Advanced Fraud Tools
- Risk Thresholds - rejected due to risk threshold rules
You can search transactions or verifications to identify whether a request was rejected by Basic or Advanced Fraud Tools:
- Log into the Control Panel
- Click on either Transactions or Vault (for verifications) in the top navigation
- If you're searching for verifications, you'll then need to click on the Verifications tab from the Vault page
- Scroll to the search section
- Under Status, leave only the box next to Gateway Rejected selected
- Choose your desired date range
- Click Search
- Click the Download button at the top of the page
- Open the CSV file in the spreadsheet program of your choice, and filter the data by the Gateway Rejection Reason column
Still have questions?
If you can’t find an answer, contact us