In general, a marketplace structure allows customers to purchase goods and services from multiple providers under the umbrella of a marketplace owner. The owner facilitates the marketplace and often charges the providers a service fee.
Braintree Marketplace allows you to split transactions and pay your providers through Braintree's gateway. You can designate a service fee with each transaction and we will disburse the appropriate funds to you and your sub-merchant. Onboarding a new sub-merchant is as easy as collecting basic contact information – we’ll take care of verifying their identity.
Braintree Marketplace is only available for business models in which the master merchant and sub-merchants are all domiciled in the US. It is not compatible with PayPal, Braintree's recurring billing, or most third-party shopping carts. Before you can get started, all merchant accounts need to be specially approved by us for use with Braintree Marketplace.
- Master merchant: The Braintree Marketplace owner
- Sub-merchant: The individual providers or sellers within that Braintree Marketplace
- Service fee: The portion of your sub-merchant's transaction revenue that is routed to your account
- Escrow: An option that allows you to hold funds through our banking partner until you decide to disburse them; at disbursement, you will receive the designated service fee and your sub-merchant will receive their portion of the payment
- Webhooks: Notifications sent to your server that indicate whether a merchant was successfully onboarded and whether there was a problem disbursing funds to your sub-merchant’s bank account